Thank the numerous people who work consistently and diligently to deliver all of our mail
- In 1775, the Second Continental Congress established the Constitutional Post–the first organized mail service in America.
- As the nation’s first Postmaster General, Benjamin Franklin established many of the conventions we are accustomed to today.
- Postage stamps were invented in 1847.
- On April 3, 1860, the famous Pony Express officially took off.
- In 1863, free city delivery started, and in 1896, free rural delivery began.
- In 1963, the Zip Code began.